Squidgy banana bread bursting with moist mixed berries. Serve with vanilla ice cream and fresh fruit for a simple but satisfying dessert or keep in a tin for a healthy(ish) sweet treat.
This recipe was inspired by my families love of banana bread however, I wanted to tweak the more traditional recipes in order to create a (slightly) healthier option. In my version I used mixed berries to add sweetness but the key is to use very ripe bananas to ensure a very moist loaf. The bag of mixed frozen fruit included strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries but feel free to use any combination of frozen fruit that you fancy. The flavourings can be easily adapted, for instance, dried ingredients such as nuts, raisins, and chocolate chips would create a different (but equally as delicious) flavour and texture.
Makes approximately 8 slices
- 200g wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp of bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp of salt
- ½ tsp of ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 60g of light golden caster sugar
- 2 tbsps of melted coconut oil
- 60 g (approx. 2 tbsp) of plain 0% fat Greek yoghurt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 3 ripe bananas mashed (approx. 260g)
- 225g of mixed frozen fruit
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees. Line and lightly grease a loaf tin.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In another large bowl, or freestanding mixer, combine the sugar, coconut oil, Greek yoghurt, eggs and vanilla extract.
- Once combined add the mashed banana, continue mixing and then add the dry ingredients
- Using a spatula, fold in the frozen berries (or any other flavouring of your choice!)
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin, smoothing the top with the spatula. Bake for about 1 hour, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 15 minutes before transferring to a wire rack or clean board. Serve immediately with vanilla ice cream and fresh berries or cool completely and keep in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
1 serving (1 of 8 slices)