This is one of my go-to midweek meals, its super filling and pairs amazingly with chicken or fish, perfect for the British BBQ season! The spiced butternut squash is warming and fulfilling whilst the pomegranate seeds and feta cheese creates a wonderful sweet/savoury flavour combination. The ratio of feta and pomegranate seeds can be adjusted in order to suit your personal preference, for example, if you prefer a sweeter salad add more pomegranate seeds and vice versa. The tahini and lemon dressing provides a zingy and nutty taste that would work well with any summer salad or roasted veg combo!
Serves 6 (as a large side)
- 1 large butternut squash
- 2 red onions
- 1tsp Paprika
- 1tsp Cumin
- 1tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 2bsps of Tahini (approx. 50g)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 200g of Curly Kale
- 1 bunch of mint
- 100g-150g of feta cheese
- 150g-200g of Pomegranate seeds
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- On a board using a large sharp knife, peel and dice the butternut squash, removing the seeds. Add to a large bowl or ziplock bag.
- Add 1tbsp of olive oil to the butternut squash along with the paprika, cumin and cayenne pepper (plus salt and pepper!). Give it a good mix until the butternut squash is coated with the oil and seasoning.
- Cut the red onions into segments.
- Spread the butternut squash and onion onto a large baking tray.
- Bake for 30 mins, or until the squash is cooked through and is slightly crispy (Don’t forget to mix halfway through!)
- Dressing time, add lemon juice to the tahini, add salt and pepper. Mix in warm water until you have a creamy consistency (don’t worry if it looks lumpy to start, keep adding the water and stirring).
- Steam or boil the kale for 10 mins.
- Chop the mint.
- Toss together the butternut squash, onion and kale with the dressing and mint.
- Crumble the feta cheese on top and add the pomegranate seeds. Serve and enjoy! Keep any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days, this works great for packed lunches.